Skip to main content
What damages can my personal injury attorney get me in Wilmington, NC?
July 20, 2021 at 7:00 AM
What damages can my personal injury attorney get me in Wilmington, NC?

If you or a loved one has been injured or killed as the direct result of another person’s negligence, you can collect damages associated with the act that caused the injury. Damages are meant to remedy a wrong with financial compensation. With the help of a personal injury attorney in Wilmington, NC, you can fight to maximize the amount that the responsible party is required to pay out in damages. At Rodzik Law Group, we focus our practice on personal injury and wrongful death claims for victims. If you’re unsure about what we can help you receive compensation for, read our guide below to learn more.

Medical bills

It doesn’t take long for medical bills associated with an injury to add up. From being seen in the emergency room for immediate care to visiting your primary care provider for follow-up visits to paying for necessary medication, your bills can reach tens of thousands of dollars in no time. The person who caused your injury or the death of a loved one should be held responsible for those bills and you can sue for damages.

Cost of future medical care

Injuries can linger after an incident. Whether it’s a broken limb that never quite healed right or a back injury that requires extensive care, you might need to continue seeing a doctor for many years after you’ve received your initial care. The damages that you receive from the person who caused your injury can continue to pay for medical bills as long as you need care for the injury. This could be five, 10, or even 20 years down the road.

Lost income

If you get hurt and miss work, you don’t have to miss out on your paycheck. An injury that was sustained as a result of another person’s negligence that causes you to miss significant time at work is eligible for damages. Even if you used your paid time off during the period you missed, you can be compensated appropriately. Furthermore, if you or a loved one is left physically unable to work, a financial expert will need to be consulted to determine the lost income and capacity for earning.

Emotional distress

A traumatic event or injury can leave you with mental scars that take a long time to heal. This emotional distress might require long periods of mental health counseling and medication to help you get over what happened. Like your traditional medical bills, you can seek damages to pay for the treatment that you need to work through the situation.

Loss of companionship or consortium

Loss of consortium means that you’ve lost an important part of your relationship with your significant other as a result of an injury or death. This means that you or your significant other aren’t able to share the same love, affection, comfort, or sexual relationship that you once were because of an injury. Because it’s difficult to put an exact monetary value on the loss of companionship or consortium, a judge or jury will be left to decide the exact value that’s been lost.

Call today for more advice

If you’d like more advice about a potential personal injury case, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Rodzik Law Group. We’d love to hear your case so we can fight for you to receive the monetary compensation that you deserve. Give us a call at 910-762-1199. Get in touch with our team because we’re looking forward to fighting for your case.